Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Buck Short

Today I tried a little experiment ... I typed 'menswear' into google wondering where it might take me.

The first link on the list was to 'Henry Bucks Menswear Store', with a short descriptive account that 'Henry Bucks showcases the worlds finest and most wearable mens clothing from top European brands.'  Now I don't know exactly how google search results function but my belief is that the most popular links pop up at the top.  So my powers of deduction tell me that Henry Bucks is a pretty popular little dig for menswear browsers.  Figuring that this store must carry all my menswear needs I decided to spend some time taking a look at what it has to offer and I must admit that I was rather disappointed.  All I seemed to be turning out was standard menswear styles, classic suits, standard pants, boring shirts.  I have no doubt that all of these garments would have been beautifully made in expensive fabrics but all I could think of was how boring it all seemed.  Certainly all of the garments showcased in Henry Bucks have a very clear and stable place in the menswear market but is the most popular menswear link on google really this store?  Is 'the fabric of the city' really a black wool suit as advertised in the Henry Bucks Autumn catalogue?  Surely not.  I like to live in hope that maybe Australian men, or at least the younger generations are becoming more experimental than relying on classic suits and cotton shirts but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Standard menswear shot at http://www.henrybucks.com.au/


No comments: