Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wayward Women



I have a strange fascination - possibly even an obsession - with crazy, wild or insane women in films.  I'm not really sure exactly what it is that draws me to these characters but there is something in their sexuality, vulnerability,  passion and their confrontational personalities that keeps me searching for more of these characters.  I've slowly built my muse around this wild picture of a woman who is threateningly assertive, irrational, emotional, occasionally deranged, and excitingly sexualised.

I'm sure that she will come up a few times throughout this blog especially as I start getting into the designing of my collection so I thought that I might introduce her to you now.  While the following two are not the only examples of my muse they are certainly strong representations of the woman that influences my work.  She's some wild mix of Maria-Elena (Penelope Cruz in Woody Allen's 'Vicky Christina Barcelona'), Betty (Beatrice Dalle in Jean Jacques Beineix's 'Betty Blue') as well as all the thousands of representations of irrational, crazy and deconstructed women that appear within the works of the Surrealists - something which I'm sure I'll no doubt come to.  For now however let me introduce you to Maria-Elena and Betty...









No comments: