Search This Blog

Friday, April 30, 2010

Floaty Fishy Things

For some odd reason I have been thinking a lot about things that float.  Ducks, parts of dolls,oil, wood, leaves, bubble wrap, lucky people with better buoyancy than myself ... and the list goes no.  I'm not exactly sure what prompted these thoughts but unfortunately for me the list is almost never ending.  So when I stumbled across this stunning editorial for Vogue Nippon with styling by George Cortina, photography by Sølve Sundsbø I was most excited to add the ethereal model Alla Kostromicheva to my list.

The shoot itself is beautiful.  While underwater scenes are not new in fashion photography they often work to capture a really interesting quality in both the scene and the garments.  I think what has worked so well in this instance is the other-worldly feel that has been given to the shoot.  In each shot the texture of the garment could be that of a sea creature and in hiding her hair and ears, she becomes something non-human herself.  There's a beautiful eerie atmosphere through the whole editorial that is tied together so closely through texture, colour and weightlessness and the mix of vulnerable, protective, fetal, and almost dead or lifeless positions that she is captured in throughout the series.  Sundsbø and Cortina have been so succinct with what they wanted in this editorial and the result is highly successful.  I have fallen so in love with it that I couldn't choose favourites and had to post them all.





























'The Girl From Atlantis' images at http://papermode.cyanatrendland.com/

No comments: